Me in a nutshell

My photo
Pretty much every morning I get up at sunrise and take a walk with my dog.I like a big cup of coffee in the morning and a cold beer in the evening.I enjoy building stuff and for sure over my life have made more than my fair share of sawdust.Now I love to paint.It all started in July of 2009 when I took a painting class at the local art co-op.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mermaids are not scaly all over



                                                               OIL 16"X20"

                                      
 
We stuck, nor breath nor motion                  
 calm as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.
Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.       
 Sam Coleridge

 
It was day 32 of a long passage when I saw my first mermaid..
For the last 7 days we had been becalmed on a dead still ocean. Not knowing how long we would be trapped without wind, without motion  we had no choice but to ration water.
 In the boring heat of the day, and misty headed with thirst I was staring into the depths when I saw her.
The wind came up that night and my mermaid was left behind forever.
 
I have never seen another Mermaid at sea
I painted this from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment